Our latest talk featured gastroenterologist Dr. Robynne Chutkan, who joined us to discuss gut health, immune health, and the management of disease and chronic conditions in the COVID-19 age.
Naturally, the core of our conversation (pun intended) was about the health of the gut, but we further explored how gut health and immune health are linked, and what you can do to build you body’s defenses in our current moment.
- Introduction to Dr. Chutkan (1:22)
- How Dr. Chutkan’s “Live Dirty, Eat Clean” mantra applies to health today (3:02)
- Dr. Chutkan’s produce-cleaning regime (4:40)
- Hallmark foods in a “clean eating” diet (5:40)
- Risk of antibiotics (11:35)
- Does having a GI issue make someone more susceptible to contracting illness? (14:10)
- Explaining IBS vs. IBD (15:19)
- Can nature exposure and sunlight help in combating the spread of COVID-19? (19:20)
- What are some self-care practices that you using right now? (27:49)
- How is the practice of medicine going to change after all this? (29:39)
- Do you think it’s a good idea to increase dosage of probiotic supplements right now? (34:07)
- Are you recommending prebiotics in conjunction with probiotics? (37:20)
- Is sourdough considered a healthful fermented food? (39:45)
- What is the role of hand sanitizers in the COVID-19 battle? (45:13)
- How are you staying educated on our understanding of the disease right now? (47:35)
- How do you think we could better prepare for the next time something like this happen? (51:33)
- What’s something that made you smile recently? (54:35)
For updates from Dr. Chutkan:
This talk was originally recorded on April 29, 2020.